The choice of food is always a dilemma for diabetic patients and their families. Healthy eating is always tough but it depends on how wisely one chooses. A healthy diet for diabetes involves consuming simple healthy food in considerate amounts and at the correct times. It involves making a comprehensive diet plan and sticking to it.
It is important to have three meals a day at regular intervals. This will help the body to better regulate insulin levels. Cutting back on fried, fatty and sugary foods is also crucial. Let's look at the list of foods that should be included in a diet for diabetic patients!
1) Fruits and Vegetables
It is a common misconception that people with diabetes should avoid fruits. But, fruits for diabetic patients work wonders as they are power-packed with fibre, vitamins and minerals. A variety of cut fruits can be eaten on daily basis but it is recommended to avoid juices and smoothies because they are not fibre-rich.
As a diabetic, there's more risk of heart conditions with an increase in blood pressure, which can be prevented by consuming fruits and vegetables daily. A good diet with fruits For sugar patients can include Berries, Plums, Peaches, Apricots, Melons, and Grapefruit. Vegetables in a sugar patient diet can include Green Beans, Spinach, Cauliflower, Cucumber, Broccoli, Celery, Lettuce, Peas, Carrots, and Mushrooms.
2) Protein-Rich FoodsProteins keep both the muscles and the heart healthy. A handful of mixed seeds like Pumpkin and Chia seeds with dried fruits like Apricots and Cranberries can be a great source of protein to take as a mid-day snack or as a topping on the salad or yoghurt bowl.
3) Dairy Foods
Milk, Cheese and Yoghurt contain calcium which strengthens the bones and teeth. However, dairy foods can contain high fat which is not advisable for a sugar patient diet. Experts advise consuming fat-free dairy options since it is also important to integrate calcium into the diet. Flavoured milk, sweetened yoghurt and ice cream can be enjoyed in moderation in the form of skimmed milk, greek yoghurt and string cheese.
4) Fibre-Rich Foods
Fibre is of utmost importance as it moderates the digestion process and improves insulin sensitivity to control blood sugar levels. It also regulates bowel movements and reduces cholesterol. Apart from fruits, vegetables and nuts, fibre can be obtained from lentils, beans, sprouts and whole grains like Oats, Quinoa, Whole Wheat, and Barley.
Healthy Eating for Diabetic Patients
How to incorporate these key components into the Daily Diet For Diabetic patients? Let's take a look at some recipes for every meal of the day.
- 1 cup of breakfast cereal with skimmed milk, fresh fruit and chia seeds
- Greek yoghurt topped with walnuts and pumpkin seeds
- 2 slices of wholegrain toast with thinly spread peanut butter
- Boiled or poached eggs
- Sprouts or baked beans with grilled tomatoes and lettuce
- 1 cup of cooked rice or pasta with lots of vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, peas or carrots
- 1 cup of cooked beans or lentils with whole wheat chapatis
- 100g of cooked fish
- Fresh fruit like an orange, banana or pear.
- 30g of mixed unsalted nuts like almonds or pistachios
- Lemon water with chia seeds
- Roasted makhanas
Healthy eating is a prime concern for people living with Type 2 Diabetes. Managing this chronic condition is important with a good check on eating habits and daily exercise. With only a little bit of planning, it is easy to find ways to make the Sugar Patient Diet taste great and also tick all the boxes for a balanced and nutritious meal.
Another challenge when choosing the right Diet For Diabetic Patients is sourcing organic and high-quality ingredients. Products such as nuts and seeds are easily adulterated in the markets and provide less nutritional value as compared to premium quality products.
Farmley delivers a wide variety of products that are adulteration-free and contain high nutritional value. Our products help ensure that diabetic patients can indulge in healthy snacking of crunchy nuts, wholesome seeds and exotic berries, worry-free!
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Which good fats should be included in a Sugar Patient Diet?
Unsalted nuts, olive oil and peanut oil are considered good fats. However, one must not overeat them as they have more calories, if not used in moderation.
2. Which are the best Fruits For Diabetic Patients?
Citrus fruits and berries are recommended as superfoods and should be always included in the diet for diabetic patients. High-fibre fruits like apples and pears help to slow the blood sugar spike.
3. How good are Chia Seeds for a diabetes patient?
Chia Seeds work as antioxidants and contain high fibre which helps in lowering blood sugar levels.